Expand all

Conflict and Legal Services

  • Student Conflict Resolution Center: The Student Resolution Center offers informal and formal conflict resolution services to resolve students' university-based problems and concerns, with confidential and impartial staff.
  • U Legal Services: U Legal Services offers legal advice and representation to students paying Student Service Fee at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities.

Family Housing

The University of Minnesota offers two family student housing properties for both undergraduate and graduate students with families. The Commonwealth Terrace Cooperation (CTC) is located near the Saint Paul campus and State Fairgrounds. The Como Student Community Cooperative (CSCC) is located roughly halfway between the Saint Paul and Minneapolis East Bank campuses along the Metro Transit bus line. Please see links to each of the family housing cooperatives below:

Commonwealth Terrace Cooperation (CTC)
1250 Fifield Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108

(651) 646-7526

Como Student Community Cooperative (CSCC)
1024 27th Avenue SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414
(612) 378-2434

Food Support

Nutritious U Food Pantry: The Nutritious U Food Pantry is an on-campus food pantry open to University of Minnesota students. There is no proof of income or need necessary to visit the pantry. The Nutritious U Food Pantry is open three consecutive days, once per month.


Childcare Grants may be available to you! The Post-Secondary Childcare Grant is funded through the state, available to MN residents who meet eligibility criteria, and covers up to $1,500 per semester per child. In addition, the University Student Services Fee Childcare Assistance Grant is funded through the University of Minnesota’s Student Services Fee; MN residency is not required and this grant funds up to $1,500 per semester!

Students MUST complete an in-person intake with Student Parent Help Center staff before they can apply for grants. To schedule an intake meeting, contact Stephanie Lee at [email protected] or the Student Parent Help Center at [email protected]. For your convenience, you can schedule an intake with Stephanie Lee in the Center for Health Interprofessional Programs (CHIP) on Tuesdays.

Lactation Resources, Student Parent Help Center, and Childcare

  • HSEC Lactation Space: If you need to pump or express breast milk while on campus, HSEC has a lactation space available to students on the 7th floor, room 7-171. For room access and scheduling calendar, contact CHIP staff at [email protected].
  • Student Parent HELP Center: The Student Parent HELP Center has been supporting pregnant and parenting students at the University of Minnesota since 1967. Please contact them for Child Care Grant info and other financing options and assistance. They are located in Appleby 24.
  • Childcare Options On and Near Campus: A comprehensive list of childcare options both on and off campus and links to other resources for finding childcare throughout Minnesota.

Mental Health and Wellbeing

  • Student Counseling Services: Student Counseling Services promotes student success in reaching their academic, personal, and career goals. Professionals at SCS are available to help with concerns regarding mental health, learning and academic challenges, career uncertainty, and faculty and staff communication.
  • Let's Talk: Let’s Talk is a confidential service that provides informal drop-in consultations at locations around campus for U of M students throughout the academic year.
  • Boynton Mental Health Services: Boynton Mental Health Services provides various mental health services, including individual, group, and couples therapy and urgent consultation, ADHD treatment, and medication assessment and management, among other things.
  • Aurora Center: The Aurora Center offers free and confidential space to University of Minnesota affiliated students, staff, faculty, family members, alumni, and friends who are victims, survivors, or concerned people of sexual assault, relationship violence, or stalking.

Title IX/Missed Class Information

As a student-parent, you have rights. Title IX makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion, or related conditions (including recovery). Title IX requires that student-parents be allowed to resume their studies in the same status they had before taking medically necessary absences related to pregnancy, childbirth, or lactation; this means that professors must permit students to make up any missed credit or assignments. In addition, students have a right to pump at school – any absences students may have due to pumping should be excused. Please see the links provided below or contact Susan Warfield of the Student Parent Help Center at [email protected] if you would like assistance obtaining a reasonable accommodation for pregnancy, child-birth, lactation, or a related medical condition.  If you are concerned that you have experienced discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, or a related medical condition, you can contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action.

Additional Resources

United Way's 211: The United Way's 211 provides confidential information and support throughout the U.S. and Canada regarding anything financial, domestic, health or disaster related. You can also call "211" to get connected to resources.
Minnesota Parent: Minnesota Parent is the Twin Cities’ premier parenting magazine providing parenting ideas and inspiration, helpful local resources and fun activities happening in Minnesota. On their website you can access all of their columns as well as additional blogs and other online resources.