The University of Minnesota invites you to join us in leading the way toward interprofessional health care!
CLARION 2014 Interprofessional Team Case Competition: A Systems-Based Practice
University of Minnesota CLARION Local Case Competition:
REGISTRATION for the 2014 Local Case Competition:
*Registration has been extended until January 15, 2014*
Local Competition Presentation Date: March 8, 2014
More info >>
CLARION National Case Competition:
National Competition Welcome Reception & Presentation Dates: April 11-12, 2014
More info >>
What is the Case Competition all about?
Issues of quality and patient safety in health care have received national attention since a report released by the Institute of Medicine in 1999 indicated that as many as 98,000 people in America may die each year due to medical errors. With a lack of communication being cited as one possible cause of these errors, interprofessional education has come to the forefront of health care curricula everywhere.
CLARION is a University of Minnesota student organization dedicated to improving health care through interprofessional collaboration. Since 2002, CLARION has hosted the U of M local student case competition for health professional students, enabling them to achieve a 360-degree perspective on patient safety in today's health care system and how it might be improved. Student teams, consisting of four students, comprised of at least two disciplines, are given a case and are charged with creating a root cause analysis. The team presents their analysis to a panel of interprofessional judges that evaluates their analysis in the context of real world standards of practice. CLARION expanded the competition to the national level in 2005.
2014 Competition Details:
Interprofessional Team Case Competition: A Systems-Based Practice
- Registrations accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis
- The National Competition registration fee is $2,000 per team (does not include the University of Minnesota participants) Check payments should be mailed to:
CLARION - University of Minnesota
1-425 Moos Tower
515 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Team Composition and Rules:
- Four students per team ~ no more than two students from the same profession
- Retreat attendance is mandatory for every team member of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities and Duluth campuses. We recommend that each University host their own retreat to support participating students from your institution. If you would like general information on how the U of M hosts this event please contact the CLARION Board at CLARION.
- In the case of a team member dropping out there will be no replacement.
- Team members will share the entire prize as listed.
NEW For 2014: The case will be presented in a digital format that incorporates significant Triple Aim issues
A health system profile leading to a sentinel event
- Content: The case is written by University of Minnesota faculty members from within the Academic Health Center
- For an example of a case click here